Liz Fichera Author Signing Recap
On Wednesday I had the pleasure of attending Liz Fichera’s signing for HOOKED, her debut contemporary YA novel. Liz happens to be local to Arizona so when I found out she was doing a signing at Changing Hands, I was so excited! I talk with Liz on twitter quite a bit, and I adored HOOKED so I couldn’t wait to meet her in person. She also mentioned that she was bringing homemade sugar cookies with pink sprinkles which was just the icing on the cake.
I showed up to the signing about an hour early as usual (I’m definitely never late to anything ) and had a lovely time chatting with Brandi the Children’s Book Buyer while I waited for the signing to start. Brandi definitely knows her YA books and she’s a lot of fun to talk books with!
When Liz showed up, I gave her the biggest hug! She one of the sweetest people I have had the pleasure of getting to know. We had the best time chatting about HOOKED, the characters, books, and even her awesome editor Tashya. We love Tashya! She also brought her husband along too since they’re local and he is so supportive of Liz and a really kind guy. She’s a lucky lady!
When more people started showing up and Liz went to greet them, I made sure to grab one of those sugar cookies of hers. They were so delicious! This woman can write AND bake. She’s a force to be reckoned with, that’s for sure. When it was time for the signing to start, the room was filled with fans and friends of Liz so it was a really great environment. Liz kicked off the signing by reading a bit from HOOKED and taking questions from the audience. Here are some things I learned from the questions:
- Sam her favorite character besides Ryan and Fred. He is so sweet and has the biggest crush on Fred and will do anything for her. She says that he is definitely someone she would have had a big crush on as a teen.
- It took her a while to come up with Fred’s name. She knew that Fred could definitely not be a Madison or a Tiffany, but she didn’t know what it would be. She went through a few drafts of HOOKED with a nameless Fred. She came upon the name Fredricka one day in movie credits she thinks and she knew right away that that was the perfect name for her main character. I definitely think it fits her well.
- Her Native American beta readers really helped her in the process of writing HOOKED and making everything authentic and true to their culture.
- It was easy for her to write the dual perspectives of Ryan and Fred. She actually thinks that she has an easier time writing from a guy’s voice, maybe because teen girls have so much going on inside.
- She loves getting all sorts of reactions from readers. She even likes when people say that they don’t like Ryan! If she can get such a negative reaction to his personality, she must be doing her job.
- She adores the HOOKED cover. She can’t believe that HarlequinTEEN found models that look so much like Fred and Ryan do in her head.
After the Q&A, Liz got ready to sign all the books that people had ready for her. She signed with a pink pen, which is only fitting for the cover! She graciously signed all my copies and gave me another big hug. After I got out of the line I got ready to go, but then I realized that I had forgotten to get a picture with her! I then waited til the line went down and got to take a picture with her and Brandi. While we were taking the picture Liz found out that she almost sold out the store of their HOOKED copies. I am so happy for her!!